Saturday, August 25, 2012

Throw Yourself A Party


So already I’m falling behind with posting. Booo! I figured out what the problem is though. I need to post on Tuesday. If I don’t do it on Tuesday, then it won’t get done until Saturday. So I will start posting on Tuesdays and Saturdays! You probably don’t need to know that, but it will help me in the future. Promise.

But, here I am getting off on a tangent before I even start writing. So, without further ado, today’s post…

Babies! Most of us are drawn towards them (especially if they aren’t our own). Babies are cute. They have huge eyes, long eyelashes, chubby arms and legs, toothless smiles, and the most adorable wobbly walks. Plus, they have a general excitement for living life. Anything and everything is new and fun and has the potential to be a great adventure.

I bring babies up though, not to just talk about how adorable they are, but to tell a story and make a point. Children, even infants, know the difference between right and wrong. They know if they are supposed to do something or not. Just the other day, in the toddler class at church, one on our babies finished eating the goldfish we had given him, so he went over and threw his cup away. None of us teachers were really paying attention to him, but he knew he had done what he was supposed to do. He yelled, “Yaaaaayyyyyy!” and started clapping for himself with a huge grin on his face. Cutest. Thing. Ever.

Seeing this toddler’s reaction made me think. So many times, we do things and then look for others’ approval. Even though we know that we did what we were supposed to do, we still need other people around us to affirm our actions or words. This little boy saw that nobody else was paying attention, so he threw his our party. Sometimes we need to do this for ourselves, because nobody else is doing it for us. I once heard a quote that said, “Toot your own horn, because no one else will toot it for you.”

So, I encourage you. Get out there and toot your own horn. Give yourself a pep talk. Write yourself an encouraging note. Pat yourself on the back or make cookies when you accomplish something. YOU CAN DO IT!

Do you encourage yourself? In what ways? Does it make you feel better?

No comments:

Post a Comment